LyondellBasell, Neste ink long-term renewable feedstock deal
LyondellBasell and Neste inked a deal for the Finnish refiner and marketer to supply renewable feedstock to the global chemicals giant's steam cracker in Wesseling, Germany, they said.
The feedstock will be converted by LyondellBasell into polymers and sold under its renewables-based CirculenRenew brand. The long-term agreement will see Neste supply its Neste RE feedstock, produced from bio-based sources such as waste and residue oils and fats, to LyondellBasell, the companies said.
The commercial agreement will make polymers and chemicals made from renewable feedstock more widely available to global brands, they say.
The agreement will bring customers "one step closer to the creation of more sustainable end products," Richard Roudeix, LyondellBasell senior vice president/olefins and polyolefins for EAME and India, said 17 June.
The two companies "share the sense of urgency to make active contributions towards combating climate change and accelerating the shift to a circular bio-economy," added Mercedes Alonso, Neste executive vice president/renewable polymers and chemicals.
By ensuring continuity with significant industrial-scale volumes of renewable polymers produced with renewable feedstock from bio-based sources, the companies say they want "to enable sustainability-focused brands to develop more sustainable products and offerings."
LyondellBasell and Neste collaborated in 2019 on the commercial-scale production of bio-based polypropylene and polyethylene with verified renewable content.
LyondellBasell launched its Circulen family of products in April.
--Original reporting by Mark Thomas, Chemical Week.
- US to share in Germany’s offshore wind leadership under G7 net-zero deal
- GALP focuses on Brazil to power global solar, wind ambitions
- Siemens Gamesa shuts two US factories as turnaround continues at wind OEM
- REPowerEU relies on rooftop solar and batteries despite challenges
- Q&A: Fawaz Al Muharrami discusses Masdar’s ambitions for its renewables, green hydrogen businesses
- EU states’ energy security fears drive 150-GW offshore wind island pact
- Norway sets 30-GW offshore wind by 2040 goal, eyes hydrogen exports
- US offshore wind auction maintains momentum for Biden administration, TotalEnergies
RT @SPGlobal: Essential Intelligence from S&P Global helps you dive below the surface. Because a better, more prosperous world is yours for…
Each year, we commemorate Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month to celebrate the rich, diverse culture a… https://t.co/oOU06vryXV