RT @SPGlobal: Essential Intelligence from S&P Global helps you dive below the surface. Because a better, more prosperous world is yours for…
Infographic: Road to COP26
The United Kingdom will host the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference of the Parties (COP26) on 1-12 November 2021.
The Glasgow, Scotland summit—postponed from November 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic—is anticipated to be a pivotal moment for the advancement of international climate cooperation. It builds on the commitments made in the 2015 Paris Agreement, but which are acknowledged to fall short of the goal of limiting the increase in global temperatures to 1.5 degrees C.
As the UNFCCC explained in a recent document, COP26 has four key goals:
- Secure new national carbon reduction commitments for 2030 and reach net-zero by 2050. "To deliver on these stretching targets, countries will need to accelerate the phaseout of coal, encourage investment in renewables, curtail deforestation, and speed up the switch to electric vehicles," the report said.
- Adapt to protect communities and ecoystems already affected. "At COP26 we need to work together to enable and encourage countries affected by climate change to protect and restore ecosystems, build defenses, put warning systems in place, and make infrastructure and agriculture more resilient to avoid loss of homes, livelihoods, and lives," the report said.
- Meet the developed nations' prior promise to invest $100 billion per year to help developing nations with their energy transition and climate mitigation.
- Work together. Finalize the rules to implement the Paris Agreement and "expand collaboration across government, businesses, and civil society to deliver on our climate goals faster."
In the months leading up to COP26, governments and nongovernmental organizations will be holding meetings to prepare for discussions of key issues that will arise at the summit. The timeline below, prepared by IHS Markit, lays out those key events.
- Critics say agricultural emissions plans in New Zealand ERP lack ambition
- US CFTC eyes greater voluntary carbon markets scrutiny, to open consultation
- California outlines plan to reach net-zero emissions by 2045
- Key climate goal of 1.5 C increase under threat in next five years
- Russian-war-spurred oil spend could kill Paris Agreement hopes: think tank
- China’s national carbon market hits a roadblock with low liquidity, weak data quality
- Europe needs EV recycling revolution to meet net-zero goals: study
- First Biden oil and gas auction, to be held in June, shows emphasis on reducing GHG emissions
Each year, we commemorate Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month to celebrate the rich, diverse culture a… https://t.co/oOU06vryXV